Sunday, February 28, 2010

Definitive v. Inquisitive


Samantha has a new favorite word . . . it is "Why?" - and she asks it with enough inflection that you feel compelled to give the child an answer!! While I was pleased that his has replaced "No" (again a word spoken in such a tone that you take her seriously because she sounds like she knows what she's talking about and she means it!) - I have found myself kinda confused.

There are certain things that you forget about a 1st child until the 2nd child does them - I mean, let's be honest, if you didn't, everyone would be an only child. But over the past few days and every statement I make being countered with "Why?" I have been asking myself if I totally blocked this out, or if Marlie never did this . . . .

After some thought and recollection I realize that I didn't block it out - Marlie truly never went through this. Example:

Me: It's time to put your coat on
Marlie (@ 20 mo): Not cold
Sam: Why?

Me: It's time to sit down for dinner
Marlie (@ 20 mo): Don't like dinner
Sam: Why?

Me: Time to go to the store
Marlie (@ 20 mo): Don't need anything
Sam: Why?

So I've drawn the conclusion that Sam wants to truly know why she is doing everything - Marlie just didn't care what your thoughts were, as long as you understood hers, your reasons didn't really matter . . . . I truly wonder where that trait comes from . . . .

1 comment: