Monday, January 16, 2012

Sleep

Sleep is such a loaded word . . . and it's meaning has changed greatly over the years . . . and I now find myself at another milestone . . .


Sleep . . .
  • When I was a kid, I never wanted it
  • When I was 15, I didn't think I had time for it
  • When I was 21, I didn't need it
  • When I went through my first pregnancy and was managing a restaurant 55 hours a week, there never seemed to be enough of it
  • As my kids all hit the 3 month mark, there was always relief at the end to the broken sleep
  • Evan has been a sporatic sleeper . . . which has made me miss my sleep - even though all he wants is a pacifier once in the middle of the night and a bottle @ 5am . . .
  • Sleep - I have seen the return of the unintteruppted sleep as Evan has gotten over the paci and has crossed the threshold to a 7am wakeup time . . .
  • Oh the glory of uninterrupted sleep . . .
  • And now we unfortunately hit the milestone of the nap issue . . .

Here's the deal - we have always lived with kids who took naps - they have never been an unscheduled optional thing in our house. And usually around 18months, we transition to one nap. But even now with 3, naptime has been the same 2-3 hour block for all 3 kiddos . . . it is a fabulous, much needed break every day . . . but alas, all good things do eventually come to an end. Marlie is now 5 1/2 and can go through a whole day at school with no issue . . . so it's time for her to say goodbye to her nap, hello to quiet reading time, and at the same time, for Samantha to be put into the reality of "she's older, that's why"! As a youngest child myself, I hated saying those words to her . . . and now it's time to stop my scatter brained post because honestly, how much quiet time can a 5yr old take sitting there staring at me on my laptop?!?!?! :) ha!

No comments: