Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Our Wild Child


I'm taking a short break from the packing and organizing that will result in our 811 mile road trip tomorrow to do a quick post on Samantha.

There are so many crazy things that she is doing right now, that I need to write down so we don't forget . . .
  • She uses the word "No" at a volume that would make you want to sit down and scream - but the inflection and emphasis in her voice manage to make it not totally horrible
  • Her favorite food right now is grapes - and they are on her level in the fridge, so she likes to help herself . . . often . . .
  • Ever since the 4th of July, Samantha tells us on a daily basis "fireworks scares me Mommy"
  • Although she has gone on the potty twice, she has no interest in using it . . . at all . . . but the 2nd she goes in her pull up, she will walk up and say "I went potty"!
  • Sam got her 1st 2 teeth just in time to turn 1 without being a toothless kiddo, so her teeth are slower at coming in. Well, the older they get, the more the teeth are going to bother them. So at just over 2, she has just sprouted 2 more teeth, but still has 4 molars and 2 other teeth to go . . . please put your thoughts out there for me and my sanity . . .
  • Sam gets "I miss you" and "I love you" a little mixed up sometimes . . . I don't really blame her . . . for a good bit of her life every time she'd hear Daddy say "I love you" he would leave . . . luckily, that's no longer the case, so we're working it out.
  • She is a force to be reckoned with. Gone are the days that she would let her older sister boss her around . . . . Marlie is not liking this new leaf . . .
Basically, Sam reminds me every day that I need patience. She also forces me to question myself about ever having gone through this. I have a 4 yr old, so I went through the 2's, right?! But Marlie potty trained herself - no joke, I have no idea what to do with a kid who doesn't want to just go on the potty. And I don't remember the screaming at the top of her lungs . . . . and I have to wonder - did I block out Marlie's two's because I was so overwhelmingly tired since Sam was an infant? Or did Marlie not do this stuff?!

I think my answer is both! I have 2 daughters that could not be more polar opposites . . . and I know that as a mother you do block out most things that don't leave you with a warm and fuzzy feeling . . . or else, why would I be standing in line saying "oh, I'll totally do it again!" ;)

The break is over . . . I have to go meditate some more . . . I'm trying to amp up my patience quotient before we hit the road at 4am!

No comments: